Did you know that the Vancouver Police Department has an online, interactive GeoDASH Crime Map?
Users can zone in on their neighbourhood and filter by offence including:
- Break and Enter Commercial
- Break and Enter Residential / Other
- Mischief (e.g. graffiti)
- Offence Against a Person
- Other Theft (e.g. personal item, bicycle)
- Theft from a Vehicle
- Theft of a Vehicle
Choose the date range, including up to 4 weeks of data with a maximum of 1000 data points, and voila!
Now, there is a disclaimer telling users not to rely on the information to make decisions about the safety level of areas, but information is beautiful, right?
If you are concerned about a high level of crime in your neighbourhood, don’t jump to any conclusions. Highly populated regions and areas with lots of foot traffic often have a greater number of reported incidents. Read the FAQ’s on the site and follow the advice from there.
Tips to prevent home burglaries
VPD asks for your assistance in helping to prevent break and enter crimes:
- Lock your home! Even if you are in your yard, secure all windows and doors, including upper floor windows and balcony doors not in your immediate view.
- Consider installing additional security features such as track locks on sliding doors and windows, motion sensor lights around the perimeter of the building, or an audible alarm system.
- Try to store valuables in a room other than the master bedroom, as suspects tend to search that room first.
- Be alert and call 911 to report suspicious persons or activity, including sounds of breaking glass or home alarms, and strangers peering into or walking through yards.
- Get involved! Join or start a neighbourhood Block Watch team. Knowing your neighbours and watching out for each other is one of the best crime prevention tools available.
- If you are reporting a crime which relates to a crime alert– inform the 911 operator.
Visit the VPD home security website for crime prevention suggestions, or contact your local Community Policing Centre for more information and advice.